Thursday

Mayberry, USA

Oh, Mayberry. I don't even know where to start anymore, but there is much ado about Mayberry these days.

I got here in May, worn out and emotionally drained from the big city strife, selling a house alone, freaking out about disrupting our lives for what seemed to be a bit of a pipe dream. How on earth were we going to pull this off - move 800 miles to a town that had only twice as many residents as our subdivision, take huge salary cuts - and not go completely insane in the process?

Now in August, several months and 2 million boxes later, I can honestly say I like it here. I don't love it yet, but I think that will come. This town is nothing if not pathologically nice, and while I love the nice, for someone who is from the cold, cold North, nice is a little scary. Too nice is downright creepy, and that's where we are. Smack in the middle of overlyniceville.

What's wrong with too nice, you ask? Only those from the North will understand this, as Southerners everywhere love the nice. Northerners expect a catch with every transaction - no one does anything for free. (This may also apply to those who live in BigCity, so don't think I'm leaving y'all out on purpose.)

Let's take this simple transaction for example - I needed to buy a street map of the county. Nothing fancy, nothing expensive, just a map. First off, it took me 4 convenience stores to finally see one. Secondly, every single clerk pretty much refused to sell me one, even if they had it - "I'll just give you directions, you just keep your $5." In Big City, that usually results in a gang following you to your destination so they can case the joint. In Mayberry, it's just because they want to help you. Really, they do. For free, even.

It's a bit unnerving, I tell you.

But the niceness has it's good side, even if it freaks me out - I got the sweetest phone call this week from a mom I met at art camp - her daughter loves Finn, and they played at the pool this summer. They ran into Finn at school, and she thought to call me and make sure that I had met people, had my football passes, and "felt plugged-in" on campus. I am pretty darn sure that no one called me at our last school just to check in, and I'm pretty sure I could have used the help. I've also gotten a couple calls about card groups and bible studies - everyone is definitely trying to make us feel as if we fit in, which is wonderful.

So, what to say about Mayberry? It's a nice little place. We're feeling pretty welcome, we're making friends, and the kids love their new school.

But we're still not monogramming our car.

No comments: