Monday

Surprises Abound

Mother's Day is one of those days where I have low expectations. If I get to sleep in and don't have to cook dinner, I'm thrilled. (Presents are optional, although much appreciated.) With my husband out of town this year, my expectations were minimal - just please let me get to 8am and have one hour of peace. That's all I was hoping for.

Imagine my surprise, then, when my kids brought me a bowl of seriously soggy cereal and a big glass of apple juice at 8am. On my favorite Christmas tray, complete with a hand-drawn book and some beaded bracelets. I was speechless and incredibly proud. After all of the grousing the day before about the squabbling and infighting, my children worked together to surprise me, and couldn't have been any prouder of themselves. They beamed ear to ear, all talking over each other as they explained the surprise planning, the questions for Dad about where to find things, and how they knew my favorite cereal.

As I carried the dishes down the stairs, trying hard to hide the full bowl of soggy cereal, it hit me. While I cherish my children's independence, this was the first year that they pulled off a surprise without any major help from an adult. Which means, unfortunately, they're getting older. And as much as I like their ability to make their own breakfast & tie their own shoes, I think I miss those days of blinding adoration and easy decisions. When your only choices are Wiggles or Elmo, doesn't the world seem a simpler place?

I never thought I would relish those difficult days, but with middle school around the corner, I'll take 3 children under 5 arguing over the DVD of choice any day of the week.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Aww...good job kiddos! If you want to hear arguing about DVDs, you can live vicariously at our house in a couple more years...

Anonymous said...

Aww what great kids you've got! Hope your day was perfect.