Thursday

Summer School

I am one of those people who collects the ingredients to something long, long before I'll actually use them. I have plans, you see. One day, I'll make things, bake things, maybe even use some of those things. But for now, the collections are mocking me. Openly.

When I packed my house to move, I cut my fabric stash in half, and still had 4 boxes. And that doesn't even remotely include all of the other craft crap that lives here. After a while of unloading, even my husband, who is charitable, was ready to evict us, my collections and I. "How in the name of all that is rational can you ever use all that stuff?" he pondered. Even the movers were perplexed. And how did it fit in the old room? There was only one closet, you see, and how in the hell did she cram all of that in there? There quickly came a buying moratorium from management.

I started, years ago, making a quilt for each new child that entered the M family. How I thought I'd keep up with a large network of nieces and nephews, I'm not sure, but suffice it to say I'm 3 quilts behind, about to be 4. (7 if you include my own pack, who don't have quilts from me either. There's therapy for that, right?) I have stacks of fabric laid out, even, but the will to cut into them isn't there. I like that fabric. And I certainly have enough of it, it's not for lack of coordinating backing or anything.

Honestly? I am feeling pressure from the Internets to make something spectacular. There are plenty of ideas, there are even plenty of bad quilts out there. But mine? They must be wonderful, and stylish, and worthy of the bundle of miracles that will receive them. I am nervous and whiny and looking for an excuse to procrastinate. They are not in college yet, there is still time. It can wait until I find the perfect idea or piece of Japanese fabric. (And the pressure is self-induced, I assure you.)

But I look around me, at this old house with the uneven floors, and wonder - did the woman who sat in this studio, then likely a sleeping porch, feel this way? Probably not, I'm guessing. Her quilt had to be warm, and functional, and comfortable for her family. Useful trumped stylish every time. And there was no luxury in hoarding the stash, fabric was pricey, and there were clothes to be made. There was indeed intent, and beauty, but it just had to be finished. Enough whining already.

So down goes the gauntlet. 3 quilts by the end of summer. Bound, wrapped, and mailed, at least, by Labor Day.

Anyone else got a project they've been procrastinating on?

3 comments:

Kristen said...

The actual word is spelled pro-kristen-ate. Let's see, projects...ugly green bathroom? wedding scrapbook? (that only has to be done before our first anniversary, right?) hanging pics in the other spare bedroom? sigh

Sliding past 50 in an online world said...

I think you're right. Have you met my dh? Who is afraid to hang a picture in the wrong place? This summer will make 7 years in our apt. and no pictures in the living room. Go for it. Make the quilts. I promise they will be beautiful & loved!! S. xox

Kimmy said...

I knew I liked you when I met you at KRB's reception. Anyone with a stash of fabric is alright by me! I've got a quilt I've been working on for a couple of years now (no rush apparently). The fabric is scraps from my mother, aunts and grandmother. One day I'll use it as a baby blanket I hope.