Monday

No, seriously.

This week's sign of the apocalypse? People are being nice to each other. And are worried about manners enough to make a reality show about them. No really, I swear. I've seen it.

Case in point - at the beach last weekend, I'm standing in line with my cart piled high, and notice a guy (we'll call him Bob) waiting with a gallon of milk. All of the lines are packed - it's arrival night at the beach, and we must.have.beer for the weekend. The line Bob was in was particularly slow moving, since the kid (we'll call him Skip) in front on him apparently was testing the structural integrity of hit cart, judging by the amount of stuff in there. Skip turns to Bob, and says (wait for it)

"I'll get your milk - just scan it, and that way you can be on your way."

No, seriously. Skip bought the guy's milk in a random gesture of nice. I love it. Made my whole night - I became more patient, the fact that the pizza guy burned my first two pizzas became easier to tolerate, and even the surly checkout girl seemed less pissed that she wasn't out clubbing.

And apparently TLC, in their effort to educate America, has started a new reality show on Manners. I kid you not, it looks like Cotillion is finally reaching the masses. Who knew? (Part of me is loudly saying, where were their parents, but that wouldn't be nice, now would it.)

Maybe if we're all nicer to one person a day, it will catch on?

No comments: