Sunday

Empty Nesting

Oh, hi there.

Things have been merrily rolling along here in the McG household, summer is half over, thank goodness, W has put his head underwater without being pushed, F can dive into the pool on purpose, and K has survived her first week of sleep-away camp.

And I have figured out why it was that my mother complained of being sleep-deprived all of those years. While we chalked it up to my sister sneaking out a few times a week (Hi, K!), I now know the answer. The nest wasn't full, and the motherhood radar was too busy being on full-alert, keeping her from sleeping.

How do I know this? Because for the first time ever in my daughter's life, I did not speak to her for a solid week. 6 whole days, people. Not a word. Barely even a misspelled postcard, I'll have you know.

And I slept like crap.

No matter what time I went to bed, the amount of caffeine or alcohol I consumed, the number of pillows I stole from G... No joy. Up at all hours, and I could not figure out what the hell was going on.

Saturday morning, my 48 pound bundle of 'tween launched herself at me, threw her arms around my neck, and told me that she missed me more than anything. Saturday night, I slept like a babe, all of my sweet chickadees home in their nests.

Sunday morning, she awoke and asked if she could go again next year.

Does my camp fee include my scrip for Ambien?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blog surfing is so much fun. Of course I can never find my way back to the one site that really caught my interest, but can't remember the name of . . .

Glad you're sleeping better now that the babies are all back in the nest. Mine haven't spent the night away really, yet. Other than a camping trip with Dad. Not looking forward to it.

Janis said...

Awe....I love moments like those. You have a sweet little girl there. Oh, I mean tween.

Anonymous said...

The sneaking out was only once a week...I think. You must be remembering the underage drinking. LOL sorry sorry. The trick is to get the mom to fall asleep while she's waiting for you to sneak back in. But don't worry, I won't tell Petunia. xoxo - K