Thursday

The Space Between

I am beginning to think that Nature had a decent plan, trying to convince me into having that second child so that they are 18 months apart. Things are getting manageable, you'd have a decent night's sleep once a month or so, and you're feeling like you could just do with a little more sweetness. All decent reasons, if you ask me. But the reason I didn't hear advertised?

You don't want the view so far ahead.

You see, we didn't fall for the siren song of 18 months apart, we waited a bit longer for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was that we weren't sure we could handle pregnancy again. (For the record, I'll announce that while I am a champion at getting pregnant, I am not good at making it into the 3rd trimester. I hear it's overrated, the 3rd trimester, but it sends my dear husband into convulsions at the mere mention of baby envy. Ahem.) So we waited, and our children are 3 1/2 years apart. And this, I'm thinking, is not such a good thing.

For starters, our oldest was a pretty easy child, once we got her here. No behavior problems to speak of, good student, easy going. Our boys, on the other hand, are famous for pine-cone throwing, being "active", etc. We were not prepared, and had become complacent "older" parents. Been there, done that does not win you favors in the Principal's Office, let me assure you. It's more like "You've already done this, why are you having so much trouble?"

But the real kicker? The preview of what will happen later with the troublesome younger children. As my oldest gets ready for Quarter Exams, boy-girl parties, and the icky May Day forced march dance around the may pole, I can only watch these older boys and moan. That is what I am raising? Those goofball 11 year olds? You mean they never quite change?

The view far ahead is not pretty. I am beginning to understand the UK system of boarding school at 8, so that you don't get to watch. Or spend quality time with the Principal, explaining why you still can't quite get it right the second and third time around.

No comments: